RT @LeaderQuote: “If you chase two rabbits, both will escape.” | #doyosexi | #quotes Chinese Proverb
Quote That: ‘Many a man fail as an original thinker simply because his memory is too good.’ -Nietzsche #blackhistorymonth
Gordon Roger Alexander Buchanan Parks (November 30, 1912 – March 7, 2006) was a groundbreaking American photographer, musician, poet, novelist, journalist, activist and film director. He is best remembered for his photo essays for Life magazine and as the director of the 1971 film Shaft.
At the age of 25, Parks was struck by photographs of migrant workers in a magazine and bought his first camera, a Voigtländer Brilliant, for $12.50 at a pawnshop. The photo clerks who developed Parks’ first roll of film, applauded his work and prompted him to get a fashion assignment at Frank Murphy’s women’s clothing store in St. Paul.
Parks began working as a self-taught freelance photographer, focusing on everything from fashion to the effects the depression in Chicago’s slums.
Parks was a close friend of Muhammad Ali, and godfather for Malcolm X’s daughter Quibilah Shabazz. He was a co-founder of Essence magazine, and wrote a ballet called Martin, in honor of King.
His art was about social issues such as poverty, race, segregation and crime. It also enhanced our understanding of beauty, nature, childhood, music, fashion and memory.
By 1944, he was the only black photographer working for Vogue, and in 1948 he became the first black photographer at Life, the most prestigious magazine of its day for photography. Eventually Life sent him to France, Italy, and Spain, and stateside he became known for his photos documenting the civil rights movement.
He attended and took photos at the Civil Rights March on Washington, 1963.
Quote This: ‘It is a fine thing to be honest, but it is also very important to be right.’ – W. Churchill
Quote: Winston Churchill
- 10 Winston Churchill quotes (holykaw.alltop.com)
- I’m just a Black man trying to keep my Behind the Scenes Pic of the Day hard in a cruel and harsh world. (aintitcool.com)
- Movie biz worsens for African-Americans: Spike Lee (cbc.ca)
- Kevin Garnett: Garnett Reportedly Cusses Out Spike Lee in Game Against Knicks (bleacherreport.com)
Quote This: “What is powerful is when what u say is just the tip of the iceberg of what u know.” -Jim Rohn
KRS-One - ’MC’s Act Like They Don’t Know’
Quote This: ‘The winner ain’t the one with the fastest car its the one who refuses to lose.’ -Dale Earnhardt
- Dale Earnhardt Jr. or Jeff Gordon? A Question Full of Answers for NASCAR (bleacherreport.com)
- Michael Waltrip’s New Book Relives Dale Earnhardt Crash At Daytona (sbnation.com)
- It’s Steve Letarte’s turn to work one of the most pressure-packed jobs in NASCAR — as Dale Earnhardt Jr.’s crew chief (sports.espn.go.com)
- Daytona 500 Monkey Has Been Spotted, So Whose Back Is He on Now? (bleacherreport.com)
- Is Dale Earnhardt Jr.’s Colorful Commentary an Issue? (bleacherreport.com)
- Taco Supreme: Just Dance, Part I (weddingbee.com)
- Could Nietzsche forsee the circumstances we live in? [Fatimea Tedora] (ecademy.com)
- Eric Logan “Team Frank”: Why the philosopher is misunderstood by angry young men. – Slate Magazine (slate.com)
- Nietzsche and Lou Salomé (espliego.wordpress.com)
Quote This: ‘Be not afraid of going slowly, be afraid only of standing still.’ -Chinese Proverb #Egypt
Eminem – ‘Not Afraid’
- Quote This: ‘We will die for our Freedom!’ -Egyptian Protester #Egypt (yosexi.com)
- The march for freedom is slowly replacing tyranny in the Middle East (leftfootforward.org)
Robert Townsend Partners in Crime – ‘The Bold,The Black,The Beautiful’
Egyptian Revolution – We Are Anonymous
- Vodafone: Egypt forced us to send text messages (seattletimes.nwsource.com)
- Did the Egyptian military use indifference as a power grab? (shortformblog.com)
- Egypt protests: Five world leaders jump into the fray (csmonitor.com)
- President Mubarak’s declaration not to run for re-election unmoved Egyptian Protesters (genzpad.com)
- Egypt protests: Hillary Clinton’s statement in full (telegraph.co.uk)
Quote This: ‘There is no expedient to which a man will not go to avoid the labor of thinking.’ -Thomas Edison
Lyn Collins- ‘Think (About It)’ – 1972
- Weird Inventions of Edison (neatorama.com)
- Thomas Edison’s 2011 Predictions (cbsnews.com)
- How Thomas Edison Pranked the 1920s With His “Dead People” Phone [Phones] (gizmodo.com)
- Aretha Franklin Isn’t Giving Up On Halle Berry Just Yet (socialitelife.com)
Quote This: ‘You have enemies? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.’ -W. Churchill
Dr. Lance Watson: ‘Tell All My Enemies I’m Back’
- Churchill was Britain’s greatest but Ireland’s greatest enemy (politics.ie)
- 10 Winston Churchill quotes (holykaw.alltop.com)
- What songs (musically) quote other songs? (ask.metafilter.com)
- Mike Tyson & Wife Welcome Baby Boy (hellobeautiful.com)
- Mike Tyson Gives Details On His New Reality Show … About Pigeons (VIDEO) (tvsquad.com)
Quote This: ‘You gotta understand the reason why I wanna try to make things right. I don’t wann be alone tonight.’ -Jane
School Daze – ‘Be Alone Tonight’